Monday, October 01, 2012

I'm still here...

It's been years since I posted on this blog. I wanted to write a quick message to say that I still follow every comment that's posted on here. (Also updated the template a little! Bit mid noughties style wise...)

It's tragically comic that if "I hate medicine" is put into google, the number one hit is this blog and the post which that link takes you to (http://thelostdoctor.blogspot.co.uk/2005/10/i-hate-medicine-and-want-to-leave.html) still gets hits and comments pretty regularly. It's taken a bit of a life of it's own beyond the blog itself which is perhaps one reason that I never deleted this blog. Some of the comments are pretty depressing, some are rallying and supportive and the rest are spam (!)

I haven't decided if I'm going to keep writing - a lot has changed for me in the intervening years and old favourites like the venial sinner and vegas have changed too. If there's any demand to find out what I did or have been up to (how arrogant am I!) I could be tempted...

Anyway the main point of this is to simply say I empathise with almost every comment on the "I Hate Medicine" post and I hope that everyone who writes on their at a dark time or a time of confusion finds some solace in the fact that a lot of doctors/medical students go through similar dark times. You are not alone and please remember that life generally deals out bursts of shittiness but in the end it all works out for the best.

Much Love, D&C

[I am listening to First Aid Kit]

14 comments:

Kate Mc said...

Dude! You're still around! Awesome to hear from you. I would be interested in finding out what you've been up to, for sure. :)

All the best.

-K

Anonymous said...

ive been coming to your blog for ages. even though its been yonks since you posted.

i worked all my life to get into medicine. fourth year and i hate it. it has turned me into a cynical and unhappy person. for me, its the politics of the work place and doctors who make you feel shit, demoralised and dehumanised.

i have finals in 7 months and i am questioning what the fuck i will do if this does not work out for me.

i never thought id be this depressed. if i quit medicine now, i dont have anything to fall back on. and if i carry on...i dont know where ill end up.

Anonymous said...

Wow u came back. Found your blog a few months back. Glad to know that I'm not alone. Thanks for sharing. Would love to hear what u've been up to

Anonymous said...

Hi

how are things? It would be great to hear what you've been up to and are up to now - a nice mini closure to your first blog - and perhaps to help give perspective to those who feel what you felt in 2005 today.

Wishing everyone joy and happiness

Anonymous said...

This post gives the light in which we can observe the reality.This is very nice one and gives indepth information.Thanks for sharing this nice article.atlanta physician

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!!

Unknown said...

I am really impressed ! Congratulations from Bangladesh! I have come some advice to New York has some AMAZING Daily Deals you! All coupons are over 50% OFF! Let DealHandler gather all the best local deals from for you. Thanks for sharing.....Fort Lauderdale, FL

In Rude Health said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
In Rude Health said...

Dear Disheartened Doctor,

My name is Robbie, and I'm editing In Rude Health, a book of humorous medical anecdotes that will be illustrated and published at Christmas-time by Freight Books, a small Scottish publisher (www.freightbooks.co.uk). In my research for this book I've been reading through blogs such as yours, and I was wondering if you would have any you'd like to contribute. Naturally, the more risqué the might be the better, but what I'm aiming to do is make something funny and enjoyable, but which also shows Joe public just what sort of things you folk in the NHS have to deal with.

Naturally all stories submitted will be treated as completely anonymous. I do hope you will consider submitting a story or two. Please email them to: inrudehealth@gmail.com

Best wishes,

Robbie

Anonymous said...

Please do not stop posting.

I am pretty much exactly how u were in 2005. it is comforting to know through all this B8llsh!t that there are a select few out there who feel the same way as me. your blog has helped me through one of the lowest points of my life

i honestly believe this way of living is not normal

Anonymous said...

Yes I'm really keen to hear what you're up to now! are you still in the med world?

peace said...

Lovely blog. Thanks for sharing. I really want to printout some of your writings: life is full of "burst of shitness" haha
Lovexo

Careerplansunlimited said...

There is an organisation set up in 1990 which helps turn medical career disillusionment to positive career action plans
Www.medicalforum.com

petvet social said...

Some really superb info , Sword lily I found this.
Read More:german shepherds